Good afternoon, what a great weekend in Kelowna we just had. The sun was out and so were the people. My family and I took a hike on the Mission Creek Greenway and it was fantastic. Although it did bring to mind some basic safety tips.
1. Always tell people where you are going, and when you expect to be back.
2. If possible take a cell phone with you.
3. In a backpak take some basics such as water, snacks, and first aid bag.
4. Always be aware of your surroundings and who is around you.
On Sunday I was out running, I had my music playing but I still made sure I was aware of where I was and who was around. Often times it is that split second when we have let our gaurd down, that the unimaginable happens. We slip and turn an ankle, or worse someone sneaks up on you.
If you are out enjoying the beautfiul weather running here are a few Self Defense tips
1. If you have long hair, keep it tucked inside your jacket. It is an easy handle for a would-be attacker
2. keep your i-pod on a medium volume, so that you are still able to hear things around you
3. Try and avoid running too close to bushes and over hanging trees. This is an excellent place for hiding.
4. Get a whistle that you can have around your neck, however make sure that the rope can easily come off. Either it has a loose slip knot or a plastic clasp that releases very easily so that it can not be used against you.
If someone does try to grab you remember to knee low and hard, and make lots of noise.
Have a reat week and enjoy the outside with freinds and family.